Table of Contents
Mekong Ganga Cooperation (MGC)
- India’s policy towards its neighbours is based on ‘Neighbourhood First’ and Mekong Ganga Cooperation is a step toward that direction.
- The aim of Neighbourhood First policy is to come across its neighbours as a country which is growing economically and strategically and willing to share its prosperity with them, as India believes that a prosperous neighbourhood means prosperous and secured India.
- The success of India’s Act East policy, economic integration with the South East region, development of North East, progress of Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) all are related in its aim to Mekong-Ganga Cooperation.
The MGC is an initiative by six countries – India and five ASEAN countries- Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam
Download Mekong Ganga Cooperation map
It was launched in 2000 at Vientiane, Lao PDR.
- Cooperation in tourism, culture, education, as well as transport and communications.
- Both the Ganga and the Mekong are civilizational rivers, and the MGC initiative aims to facilitate closer contacts among the people inhabiting these two major river basins.
- The MGC is also indicative of the cultural and commercial linkages among the member countries of the MGC down the centuries.
- Joint Ministerial Meeting of the 10th MGC -August 02, 2019
- 12th Mekong Ganga Cooperation Senior Officials’ Meeting-September 03, 2020
Mekong Ganga Cooperation (MGC) Plan of Action (2019-2022)
This Plan of Action implements the goals of the MGC Partnership for the years (2019-2022) by laying out activities to be undertaken by all parties to further deepen and enhance cooperation in the MGC priority sectors.
Cooperation Areas decided in Plan of Action
- Cultural Cooperation
- Tourism Cooperation
- Cooperation in Education
- Cooperation in Public Health and Traditional Medicine
- Cooperation in Agriculture and Allied Sectors
- Cooperation in Water Resources Management
- Cooperation in Science and Technology
- Cooperation in Transport and Communications
- Cooperation in MSMEs
- Skill Development and Capacity Building
- Quick Impact Projects Scheme
Want to Learn more about MGC refer to Officil Government of India website here